Here we are one more time with some more progress. It might seem a long, drawn out build, and in fact it is - however, the stages of weathering take time and patience, and I need to rest and regroup in between modelling sessions.
In the photo above it's clear to see the chips I have begun to add. It's a tedious, sweat inducing task, and that's no joke. To damage one's model at this stage, after so much effort had been injected would be upsetting, to say the least. The darker areas represent the older, rusted steel (applied by sponge and brush), while the surrounding areas are carefully brush painted on, in this case using a my 'red-oxide' paint to represent fresh chips.
I still have to work on the tracks, but until I've decided about my base, they can wait.
For the chipping I used both a sponge and a good quality brush.
I like my Hetzer both with and without the armoured skirts, so I spent a while taking them on and off. There're very delicately attached so I can I always change them around and I have some spares all painted up and ready to go (I made extra just in case...........). As you can see, I chipped the tool box with my darker, old rust mix. Any part of the vehicle that is being constantly opened and closed or handled will chip - just look at an old metal tool box in your garage!
For the mud spatter I mixed a small amount of white wood glue with water and added some Mig pigments (Dry Earth and European Dust).
The mixture was first tested on paper and then I used an old brush with cut down, stiff bristles, dipped in my muddy/dusty mixture and the bristles were carefully manipulated with my finger to flick dirt on the hull. I had to be careful to get the scale of the splashes looking natural. I hold a post-it note in front of any areas I want kept relatively clean.
And finally here's a top view of the weathered machine. As you can see, the vivid colours have been nicely muted, much to the crew's relief!
See the final reveal HERE