Sunday 8 January 2017

1/35 Trumpeter's - E100 Heavy Tank (Part 3)

Being a semi-fictional subject (the hull existed while this particular turret didn't) I am not strictly tied to any particular colour scheme, so decided to paint my turret to represent a recently manufactured turret that hasn't even had its primer coat applied.


Photo above: just as I did with the hull in my previous post, I applied texture using Mr. Surfacer (click here for more info) and as there are no welds represented on this kit as supplied by Trumpeter, I made my own using putty (click here for more info).


Photo above: first I used the 'black & white technique' to create some interesting tonal contrasts under the base coat. Second came the base coat itself, and this was produced using highly diluted rusty tones which represent steel plate that has been exposed to the elements. I concentrated my darker tones in the lower turret areas and regions that would be in shadow, while the higher areas, especially the top surfaces where light would naturally fall, were significantly lightened.  The reason the paint is highly diluted is to allow the 'black & white technique' beneath to heighten the tonal effects I'm trying to create.     

Finally, I carefully airbrushed some black along my welds to represent burn marks, and then went in with some silver colored paint for the welds themselves which although may now look overly bright, will be knocked right back down with future weathering techniques.  Like I mentioned in my last post, I have learned to go really bright at this stage if I plan to weather my model - and I mean really over-exaggerate the colours - because if I don't, all my previous hard work will be more or less obliterated.


No comments:

Post a Comment